Tooth decay is a common dental issue that can lead to cavities and dental infections. In the past, traditional metal fillings were used to treat cavities, but tooth-colored fillings have become a popular alternative due to their natural-looking appearance. At Polished Dental Care, our Grand Rapids, MI dentists, Dr. Elizabeth White and Dr. Alexandra Hylen, offer quality tooth-colored fillings to ensure their patients receive the smile they’ve always desired.
What are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Tooth-colored fillings, also known as composite resin fillings, are a type of dental filling used to treat cavities. They are made of a mixture of plastic and glass materials that are color-matched to your natural teeth. Unlike traditional metal fillings, tooth-colored fillings blend seamlessly with your natural teeth, making them an ideal option for restoring the appearance of your smile.
The Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
The benefits of tooth-colored fillings are numerous. Some of the most significant benefits include:
- Natural-looking appearance: Most patients choose tooth-colored fillings because they blend seamlessly with your natural teeth, making them virtually undetectable.
- Bonding: Tooth-colored fillings bond directly to the tooth, which helps to strengthen the tooth and prevent further decay.
- Versatility: They can be used to treat a variety of dental issues, including cavities, chipped or cracked teeth, and gaps between teeth.
- No Mercury: For patients who prefer not to use metal fillings due to concerns about the mercury they contain, tooth-colored fillings are a safe alternative because they do not contain any mercury.
How to Know if You Qualify for Tooth-Colored Fillings
Anyone with a cavity or other dental issue that can be treated with a filling is a candidate for tooth-colored fillings. However, candidacy typically depends on these factors:
- The size of the cavity: Tooth-colored fillings are typically best suited for smaller to medium-sized cavities. Larger cavities may require a different type of restoration, such as a crown or inlay/onlay.
- The location of the cavity: Tooth-colored fillings are often used for cavities in visible areas of the mouth, such as the front teeth. However, they can also be used for cavities in the back teeth as long as the area is not under too much pressure from chewing.
- Overall oral health: Candidates for tooth-colored fillings should have good overall oral health and be free of gum disease or other oral health issues that could compromise the success of the filling.
- Personal preference: Candidates for tooth-colored fillings typically have a preference for a more natural-looking restoration and may have to invest in the higher cost of tooth-colored fillings compared to metal fillings.
- The extent of the decay: Tooth-colored fillings are most effective for mild to moderate decay. If the decay is extensive, a different restoration may be recommended.
It is important to consult with your Grand Rapids dentists to determine if tooth-colored fillings are the right option for your specific dental needs.
Schedule a Consultation Today!
Tooth-colored fillings are a popular and effective option for restoring the appearance and function of teeth affected by decay or damage. At Polished Dental Care, our experienced dentists can assess your unique situation and determine if tooth-colored fillings are the best option for you.
Schedule a consultation with Dr. White or Dr. Hylen by contacting our Grand Rapids, MI dental practice at (616) 698-6663 or by filling out our online form to learn more about tooth-colored fillings and determine if they’re the right choice for your oral health.